Two Phoenix Zoo Halloween traditions in one! That’s right; this year Boo at the Zoo is joining forces with Howl-O-Ween for two nights of ghostly fun. Enjoy everything Boo at the Zoo offered, just in the evening. And thrill seekers need not worry, because all the scare Howl-O-Ween is known for is also planned.
Howl-O-Ween includes activities and experiences for the whole family. So whether you’re looking for scary tricks or sweet treats — Howl-O-Ween is a delightfully spooky event for all ages.
Children 2 and under are free
Zoo members be sure to log in to receive special member pricing.
All activities are broken down as either “Merry” or “Scary.” Those listed as Merry are appropriate for all ages and those listed as Scary are for guests eight years and older who like a good scare! Please be aware of the activity’s description before participating.
Browse event information using the tabs below.
- Merry Activities
- Scary Activities
- Policies & Parking
- 4-D Theater* Great ready for a spooky, family-friendly adventure with “Haunted Lighthouse 4-D!”
- Camel Rides*: Take a ride and get your picture taken on one of the world’s most amazing animals.
- Character Meet & Greet: 6:30 – 9:30 p.m.
- Due to the popularity of the Character Meet & Greet, be sure to line up early. The line may cut off before 9:30 p.m. to ensure that guests already in line have the opportunity to meet the characters.
- Extinct Animal Graveyard: Take a walk through the graveyard and learn about endangered species and what you can do to help protect them.
- Mad Science Laboratory: Visit our mad scientists and enjoy unique, hands-on science experiments that will be sure to spark your imagination.
- Monster Mash Dance Party: Calling all spooks and ghouls, pirates and princesses! Join DJ Mars and dance to top kid hits as well as classic Halloween tunes.
- Magic Shows: Experience magic in a mysteriously fun way!
- 7 p.m., 8 p.m. & 9 p.m.
- Mascot Parade: Your favorite mascots are invading the Zoo! Be sure to wave to them as they pass by! (location TBD)
- 7 – 7:30 p.m.
- Magical Midway Carnival Games : This isn’t your typical midway. Test your luck at spooktacular carnival games.
- Mystical Masquerade Corner: Create your own mask complete with several wacky accessories and take a photo in front of the masquerade photo booth.
- Nature’s Nightmares Animal Encounters: Get up close and personal with some of the Zoo’s very own “Nature’s Nightmares” and learn fun facts about these creatures of darkness.
- 6:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.
- Pirates of the “Scare”abbean: Aye Matey! Come aboard and witness this thrilling pirate sword fight! It’s sure to shiver ye timbers!
- 7:30 p.m. & 8:30 p.m.
- Psychic & Tarot Readings: Want to know what the future holds for you? Sit down with psychic Robert Jerome to find out.
- Pumpkin Pathway: Wander along a pathway full of jack-o-lanterns and be sure to keep your eye out for all of the fun carvings.
- “Scare”ousel*: Enjoy a special ride to haunting music on our spider web-covered carousel.
- Stingray Bay*: Experience this interactive encounter allowing you to come hand to fin with stingrays.
- For the safety of the animals, we have restrictions for those entering Stingray Bay during the event:
- Anyone with make-up, paint or glitter on their hands or arms must refrain from entering the exhibit.
- Be aware of costume pieces or accessories that may fall or dip into the pool. They must be removed or secured, keeping them from touching the water.
- Please contact a Zoo staff member with any questions about these restrictions.
- Trick or Treat Trail: Stroll through the Arizona Trail for fun tricks and candy treats.
- Candy for children only.
*Additional fees apply
Activities subject to change without notice
- Headless Horseman: Be careful where you turn, the Headless Horseman could be lurking around the corner, furiously waiting to seek revenge on all those he encounters!
- “Holidays of Horror” Haunts: The dead have taken over some of your favorite holidays and they’re showing no mercy to anyone who dares to enter!
- Dismember Hearts: Guard your hearts and don’t be fooled by these dolls. Danger is hiding in all forms. Not even cupid will make it out alive!
- Halloween Ex-FEAR-ience: Witches and ghosts await to cast a spell on you! Come face to face with things you’ve only seen in your worst nightmares!
- Thanksgiving Feast of Flesh: Dine with the dead where your zombie survival skills determine whether you feast or get feasted on!
- Yuletide Spirits: Enter Mount Crumpit if you DARE for a SCARE! The Grinch will be waiting with some holiday cheer.
- Monster Safari Tour*: The Zoo has a rich and varied monster population. Join us as we visit monster hot spots on the Monster Safari Tour. We’ll seek out the majority of the infamous abominations amid the scenic Africa Trail. Learn about these elusive and legendary creatures on this hair-raisingly wild tour.
- Phoenix Arizona Paranormal Society: Learn about paranormal investigations from the professionals — with real evidence and EVP recordings.
*Additional fees apply
Activities subject to change without notice
Sign up for a fun and exciting volunteer opportunity! There are a variety of volunteer positions available for this event, including both acting and non-acting roles.
All volunteers must be 18 years of age or older.
Animal viewing during Howl-O-Ween is limited. The majority of our animals are not nocturnal; therefore, most will be resting off exhibit. Animals off exhibit are not exclusive to Howl-O-Ween. It is their normal routine. We look forward to you returning to the Zoo for a daytime visit when you can see the animals in a whole new light!
Any weapons that are a part of your costume will not be allowed in the Zoo.
- Howl-O-Ween tickets are non-refundable for any reason.
- Each ticket has a barcode that admits one person only.
- Photocopies will not scan and will be confiscated.
- Tickets may not be resold.
- Tickets are not dated; giving you a choice to attend either night of Howl-O-Ween.
- If you purchase tickets, but are unable to attend, please consider giving them as gifts to friends and family.
- Tickets not used in 2015 may not be used the following year.
- Your ticket purchase supports the Zoo, a non-profit organization that receives no operational funding from the city or any public source.
- Parking in the Zoo lot is free.
- The Zoo parking lot is city-owned, not Zoo-owned.
- Park ONLY in designated parking spaces.
- If you park illegally, tickets will be issued or your car could be towed.
- The Zoo is not liable for parking tickets received by Howl-O-Ween guests.
Daytime Zoo Admission
- Adult admission (Ages 14+): $20
- Child admission (Ages 3–13): $14
- Children 2 and under are free
Flashlights and laser pointers are not allowed at Howl-O-Ween for the safety of the animals and to avoid disrupting the event experience for other guests.
Desert Marketplace Gift Shop
Desert Marketplace will be open during Howl-O-Ween.
No Pets Allowed
Pets are not allowed on Zoo grounds day or night. Service animals are allowed; however, owners are required to contact our Park Ranger office prior to visiting at 602.273.1341 x7889.
Howl-O-Ween is open rain or shine. Please dress accordingly.
Extending a daytime visit into Howl-O-Ween
Daytime Zoo guests may not stay on Zoo grounds after 5 p.m. closing in hopes of attending Howl-O-Ween. Daytime guests can purchase Howl-O-Ween tickets for that night, but they will need to leave Zoo grounds at 5 p.m. and return at 6:30 p.m. for the general public opening.
You can join at Guest Services located at the Zoo entrance or online.