- Working at the Phoenix Zoo
- Application Process
- Current Openings
- Careers FAQs
- Food & Retail Opportunities
The non-profit Phoenix Zoo is always on the lookout for passionate individuals who are dedicated to the Zoo’s mission: To inspire and motivate people to care for the natural world.
The Zoo is also committed to attracting, developing and retaining highly qualified employees. As a cultural destination and conservation organization, we offer a variety of career opportunities including positions in animal management, development, education, facilities, horticulture, guest services, information technology, marketing, accounting, security and more.
Looking for volunteer opportunities? Please visit our volunteer page.
Competitive Benefits Package
The Arizona Center for Nature Conservation is committed to maintaining the health and well-being of its employees. We offer a wide range of benefits for qualified employees designed to address the diverse needs of our employees and their families, such as:
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Prescription Drug Coverage (Domestic Partnership Benefits Available)
- Life, Accidental Death & Personal Loss Insurance, Occupational Life, and Long Term Disability Insurance
- 401(k) plan with match
- Phoenix Zoo Membership
- Generous Personal Time Off (PTO)
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employee WILD Rewards Program
- Service Awards
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Tuition Reimbursement Program (for qualified courses)
- Employee Cultural Exchange Program
- Plus Outside Vendor Discounts
- To establish a complete pre-employment file, please complete an online application for each position you are interested in. Your application will be retained in active status for one calendar year. If your qualifications meet our needs, we will contact you for further information and a possible interview.
- Available positions with the Arizona Center for Nature Conservation are listed on this page.
- Review the job description of the position for an understanding of the essential duties and minimum qualifications for each position you are interested in. Only those applicants meeting the minimum qualifications for a position will be considered.
- To apply in person, please visit our Admissions Booth at our front entrance of the Zoo to request a paper application.
- Resumes will not be accepted without an application for a posted position.
If you are a top candidate for a current opening, we will contact you within a few weeks of the position closing. Unfortunately, due to the number of applications and resumes we receive, we are only able to respond to those applicants who best match our current openings.
Drug Free Workplace
Please understand that if offered employment, you may as a final condition of employment, be required to successfully complete a background check and a physical examination including a substance test. Additionally, consistent with the ACNC Drug and Alcohol Policy, you understand that you may be requested to submit to a screening for illegal drugs and/or alcohol during your employment, as the Phoenix Zoo is a drug free workplace.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Arizona Center for Nature Conservation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, mental or physical disability that does not preclude performance of essential job duties, or any other status protected by law.
The ACNC supports and promotes work force diversity and strives to foster a work environment of respect and inclusiveness where the contributions of all workers are valued and recognized.
At Will Employer
The ACNC dba Phoenix Zoo is an AT WILL employer. If employed, you understand that your employment is entered into voluntarily and you are free to resign at any time, with or without notice. Similarly, the Phoenix Zoo is free to conclude the employment relationship at any time, with or without cause or notice.
The Arizona Center for Nature Conservation Participates in E-Verify
Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. This employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employees Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Arizona Center for Nature Conservation (Phoenix Zoo) Positions:
Most employees of the Phoenix Zoo are employed by the Arizona Center for Nature Conservation. The Arizona Center for Nature Conservation, employs all staff that work in our Living Collections, Administrative, Operation, Guest Service, Group Events and Educational Departments.
The Arizona Center for Nature Conservation is an Equal Opportunity, AT WILL employer who participates in E-Verify. Please understand that if offered employment, you may as a final condition of employment, be required to successfully complete a background check and a physical examination including a substance test. Additionally, consistent with the ACNC Drug and Alcohol Policy, you understand that you may be requested to submit to a screening for illegal drugs and/or alcohol during your employment, as the Phoenix Zoo is a drug free workplace.
Internal Applicants (current employees & volunteers of the Zoo) please click here to apply for positions as an internal candidate.
- Full-time Regular (Works 40 hours per week)
- Part-time Regular (Works 28 hours or less per week)
- Part-time Seasonal (Works 28 hours or less per week for typically more than three months but less than one year)
- Full-time Temporary (Works 40 hours or less for typically three months or less)
- Part-time Temporary (Works 28 hours or less for typically three months or less)
How do I become an animal keeper?
If you are serious about becoming a keeper then we recommend that you get as much hands-on experience with domestic, preferably exotic, animals as possible. And depending on the job a Bachelor of Science degree in the Life Sciences such as Biology or Wildlife Management may be required.
What are some ways to gain animal experience?
- Volunteer at The Phoenix Zoo
- Veterinary offices
- Animal training classes
- Local Humane Society
- Local Park Service
- Wildlife rehabilitation centers
- Animal shelters
- Pet Breeders
- Horse Stables and boarding facilities
- 4-H Clubs
Does it help to work in another capacity at the Phoenix Zoo, such as an entry level position?
Yes, there are advantages for existing employees applying for open job positions in the Zoo. Be aware that some jobs may require that you stay in the position for a minimum length of time. If you are not an employee, then become a volunteer. As an employee or a volunteer you will have the opportunity to become familiar with the Zoo and network with the appropriate staff. Please keep in mind that competition is very strong for some job titles and the applicant who best meets the educational requirements and has the most appropriate work experience will be offered the job.
If I am interested in more than one job do I need to submit more than one application and/or resume?
Yes, if you are applying for more than one position you need to submit an application and/or resume for each job opening.
Can I send you a resume to keep on file for future openings?
No, applications and/or resumes are accepted for current job openings only.
How old do you have to be to apply?
Applicants must be at least 18 years old.
Do you offer internships?
Internships, when available, are posted with our Current Openings.
Do you offer volunteer opportunities?
Yes, click here for more information about volunteering.
What is the best way to apply for a job?
Any of the following ways would be acceptable:
- Apply Online on this website
- In person please visit our Admissions Booth during operational hours at our front entrance of the Zoo located at 455 N. Galvin Parkway, Phoenix, AZ 85008.
Employment Opportunities in Food Service and Retail:
Lancer Catering and Event Network employ people at the Phoenix Zoo too!
If you’re interested in working in one of the food service locations at the Zoo, contact Lancer Catering. If you’re interested in working in the retail store, please contact Event Network. You can reach these organizations using the information below to learn about job opportunities, benefit information or if you have any questions.
Lancer Catering – Food Service Positions within the Zoo
Lancer Hospitality’s approach focuses on fresh and fun food concepts that reflect culinary trends, ever mindful of our commitment to model sustainable practices. We operate fast-paced, high volume food services operation at the Zoo. Lancer seeks experienced Cashiers, Line cooks, Prep Cooks, and Warehouse Staff for the food service and catering operations at the Phoenix Zoo. We are looking for high energy part-time AND full-time team members.
We are holding a job fair where you may fill out an application and receive an INSTANT interview for one of our open positions!
JOB FAIR DATE/TIMES:
Wednesday, August 10 | 4 — 7 p.m.
Thursday, August 18 | 4 — 7 p.m.
Saturday, August 20 | 10 a.m. — 2 p.m.
Please enter at the Zoo’s main entrance located at 455 N Galvin Parkway, Phoenix and follow signs to Stone House Pavilion.
- Please Dress for Success. (No phone calls please)
- Open availability to include weekends is a Plus, additional night shifts are available from Mid-November through the 2nd week of January during Zoo Lights.
- New employees will need to pass a pre-employment screening which includes a criminal background check before beginning employment.
– Complementary Zoo Membership (while employed with Lancer)
– Employee discounts on days worked (while employed with Lancer)
– Full and Part-Time positions available
– Pay offered above minimum wage
– 60 day and 120 day Incentive for attendance working scheduled shift
– A Great work environment with friendly staff, customers and management team
Lancer supports the food service within the Phoenix Zoo, and is not affiliated with the zoo itself. Please do not contact the Zoo directly for these positions, you may submit interest and resumes to Trina at email@example.com
Lancer Hospitality is an EEO, ADA and Veteran Friendly Employer.
Event Network – Retail Store Positions within the Zoo
Any interest in Retail store positions should be addressed to our Retail Store Partner – Event Network. Please call 602.914.4307 or Event Network online for more information.
Event Network employees are not employed by the Phoenix Zoo and do not receive the Arizona Center for Nature Conservation benefits package.