Thank you for your interest in volunteering with the Phoenix Zoo!
The Zoo relies on over 300 active volunteers to support our staff and mission of “providing experiences that inspire people and motivate them to care for the natural world.” Volunteers help us through active service in nearly a dozen departments and over one hundred roles. Whether in education, fundraising, horticulture or assisting keepers, volunteers make an impact every day. If you are looking for an incredibly rewarding long-term service opportunity, you have come to the right place!
Ready to get started?
Under 18? Please explore our ZooTeen volunteer program.
Our Adult Volunteer Program is for all individuals ages 18 and older with the ability to pass a background check, commit to 75 yearly hours, and comfortably interact with guests as a representative of the Zoo. We do not accept individuals seeking court-ordered service hours and at this time we cannot accept international applicants.
What Roles are Available?
As a conservation and education-focused institution, most of our volunteers concentrate on guest experiences. Very few volunteer positions work directly with animals.
Positions listed on the open positions page are immediately available upon acceptance into the program. Additional positions become available with the accrual of 40, 100 and 200 hours of volunteer service. Accrued hours do not guarantee acceptance into any position. Advanced volunteer positions, such as Assistant Keepers, are demanding, highly competitive and require an internal application process.
We also encourage skill-specific applicants. If you have a passion for sharing a specific skill (e.g. marketing, fundraising, plumbing, electrical, etc.) please submit an application and contact us directly detailing your interest.
Our volunteers are an eclectic group comprised of a variety of professions, backgrounds and ages. Each has a unique passion and desire to share the natural world with our guests. In exchange, the volunteer program offers professional development opportunities, fun social events, member benefits, regular recognition of service and many opportunities to learn about and get insider knowledge on Zoo and conservation activities.
What’s Involved in Becoming a Volunteer?
2. A member of our Volunteer Management Team (VMT) will contact you to sign up for an information and interview session where you’ll receive a greater understanding of the program and position(s) you are interested in, as well as the opportunity to interview with current staff and volunteers.
3. If requested during the session, you may complete a criminal history background check and submit your volunteer membership fee. Active volunteers make a yearly monetary contribution to the program in the form of an annual membership fee ($35 for the first year and $25 for each subsequent year).
4. Upon clearance of your background check the VMT will contact you with the orientation schedule.
5. Attend orientation where you will learn about the Zoo, confirm your chosen volunteer position and training schedule, as well as receive training on our customer service, safety and general policies.
6. Attend training sessions and pass associated knowledge assessment test.
7. Accept your volunteer name tag and official welcome to the Phoenix Zoo Volunteer Program!
What About Corporate Service Projects?
With the exceptions of the summer and the month of March, corporate service projects or team-building opportunities are available most weeks of the year. All attendees need to be 18 or older and able to work outside for a few hours. If you are interested in arranging for a group service project at the Zoo, please download, complete and return the form linked below. Thank you for your interest and support!