Thank you for your interest in volunteering with us!
The Phoenix Zoo relies on over 300 active volunteers to support our staff and mission of providing experiences that inspire people and motivate them to care for the natural world. Phoenix Zoo volunteers help us succeed in meeting our mission through active service in nearly a dozen departments and over a hundred roles. Whether in education, fundraising, horticulture, or assisting keepers, volunteers make an impact everyday. If you are looking for an incredibly rewarding long-term service opportunity, you have come to the right place!
Ready to get started?
Under 18? Please explore our ZooTeen Volunteer program.
Our Adult Volunteer Program is for all individuals ages 18 and older with the ability to pass a background check, commit to 75 yearly hours, and comfortably interact with guests as a representative of the Phoenix Zoo. We do not accept individuals seeking court-ordered service hours and at this time we can not accept international applicants.
What Roles are Available?
As a conservation and education focused institution, most of our volunteers focus on guest experiences. Very few volunteer positions work directly with animals.
Listed above is a selection of positions immediately available upon acceptance into the program. Additional positions become available with the accrual of 40, 100, and 200 hours of volunteer service. Accrued hours do not guarantee acceptance into any position. Advanced volunteer positions, such as Assistant Keepers, are demanding, highly competitive, and require an internal application process.
We also encourage skill specific applicants. If you have a passion for sharing a specific skill (e.g. marketing, fundraising, plumbing, electrical, etc) please submit an application and contact us directly detailing your interest.
Our volunteers are an eclectic group comprised of a variety of professions, backgrounds, and ages. Each has a unique passion and desire to share the natural world with our guests. In exchange, the Volunteer Program offers professional development opportunities, fun social events, member benefits, regular recognition of service, and many opportunities to learn about and get insider knowledge on Zoo and conservation activities.
What’s Involved in Becoming a Volunteer?
- Read through the available positions above to determine what interests you most and submit an application.
- A member of our Volunteer Management Team (VMT) will contact you to sign up for an Information and Interview Session where you’ll receive a greater understanding of the program and the position(s) you are interested in as well as the opportunity to interview with current staff and volunteers.
- If requested during the Information and Interview Session complete a Criminal History Background Check and submit your Volunteer Membership Fee. (Active volunteers make a yearly monetary contribution to the program in the form of an annual membership fee; $35 for the first year and $25 for each subsequent year)
- Upon clearance of your background check the VMT will contact you with our available Orientation schedule.
- Attend Orientation where you will learn about the zoo as well as receive training on our customer service, safety, and general policies. Confirm your chosen volunteer position and schedule your training sessions.
- Attend training sessions and pass associated knowledge assessment test.
- Accept your volunteer name tag and official welcome to the Phoenix Zoo Volunteer Program!
What About Corporate Service Projects?
With the exception of summer and the month of March, corporate service projects or team building opportunities are available most weeks of the year. All attendees need to be 18 or older and able to work outside for a few hours. Please contact us directly to propose or request a potential project.